Green potatoes are not always safe for your health. If you eat green potatoes, there is a chance that they can cause specific side effects.
Green potatoes may contain toxic plant compounds called solanine or other harmful elements that can affect your body negatively. Read this article to know about the risks of eating green potatoes and how you can avoid them.
What are green potatoes?
Green potatoes are not potatoes in the traditional sense. They are actually a type of green fingerling that looks and tastes like a standard potato. But they are different vegetables with different nutritional values and benefits.
Most potatoes are made into chips. These chips can be found in different forms like french fries, potato wedges, and chips. They are a popular snack item because of their crunchy texture and taste. Green potatoes are also known as yellow-fleshed potatoes and they turn green due to long exposure in light.
They come in different colors like yellow, orange, and red-skinned varieties. These potatoes are harvested from the plant early before they turn green.
Why are green potatoes unhealthy?
Green potatoes are not safe for your health because they contain a toxic plant compound called solanine. Solanine is a toxic compound that can harm your body. Potatoes are a staple food in many parts of the world. However, potatoes are grown with arsenic as a chemical compound in many places.
This is why, if you are from India, South America, or some other place where potatoes are the staple food, you should not eat green potatoes. Green potatoes are not safe for anyone, regardless of their place of origin. They can cause harm to anyone who eats them.
This is because they contain Solanine, which is a very harmful plant compound. This solanine is found in green potatoes, which is why these are not safe for your health.
Side effects of eating green potatoes
If you eat green potatoes, there is a chance that they can cause various side effects in your body. These include stomach pain, vomiting, skin irritation, dizziness, headache, and fatigue. Potatoes are rich in carbs and sugars.
When you eat these potatoes, your blood sugar level increases and causes these effects. Potatoes also have yellow skin, which is the part that contains solanine This solanine can cause harmful side effects such as vomiting, skin irritation, and fatigue.
Tips to safely eat Potatoes in your diet
- Make sure to wash the potatoes thoroughly before you eat them. Potatoes and other vegetables have harmful elements like pesticides, bacteria, and other microbes that can cause health issues if you eat them raw. Make sure to wash these vegetables thoroughly to remove these microbes.
- Make sure to store vegetables properly so that they do not spoil. If you store vegetables properly in an airtight container, they can stay fresh for a longer duration.
- If you are planning to store vegetables in the freezer, make sure to use a freezer-safe container. This container should be able to hold the vegetables without letting them move around.
- Make sure to include vegetables in your daily diet. Potatoes are rich in carbs that can be beneficial to your health. Potatoes can be eaten as a vegetable or added to soups, casseroles, or any other meal.
- Potatoes can be eaten with other vegetables like carrots or beets. Potatoes should be eaten along with other healthy vegetables to get the maximum benefits from them.
Green potatoes are not safe for your health. They can cause harmful side effects like vomiting, stomach pain, skin irritation, fatigue, and dizziness if you eat them.
Potatoes are rich in carbs and can be eaten with other healthy vegetables. Make sure to store potatoes properly, eat them along with other vegetables, and keep them in your freezer to prevent spoiling.
Also read about the List Of 7 Healthy Vegetables