How many of you exactly know about Mexican people and their culture? Except Mexico is famous for beaches and cactus there are a lot of social and cultural points of view about Mexico that you must know. The below interesting facts about Mexico will catch your attention toward Mexico for sure.
- 1. Mexico Has 35 UNESCO World Heritage sites
- 2. Mexico Is Also Known For Handcrafts and Folk Art
- 3. The World’s Largest Pyramid Is In Mexico
- 4. Mexico’s Official Name Is Estados Unidades Mexico
- 5. The Catholic Branch Of Christianity Is The Dominant Religion In Mexico
- 6. Mexican Celebrate Festival Called “Day of the Dead”
- 7. Mexico is home to 11% of all the world’s biodiversity
1. Mexico Has 35 UNESCO World Heritage sites
If you say what is the reason to visit Mexico then you must have a look at these world heritage sites. There are a total of 1,154 world heritage sites in the world but Mexico has 35 inside the country which is 7th country for having a maximum number of world heritage sites.
While countries like Italy, China, Germany, Spain, France, and India are above Mexico. Here have a look over the list of 35 world heritage sites in the country and let us know your experience over there.
- Historic Centre of Mexico City and Xochimilco
- Historic Centre of Oaxaca and Archaeological Site of Monte Albán
- Historic Centre of Puebla
- Pre-Hispanic City and National Park of Palenque
- Pre-Hispanic City of Teotihuacan
- Sian Ka’an
- Historic Town of Guanajuato and Adjacent Mines
- Pre-Hispanic City of Chichen-Itza
- Historic Centre of Morelia
- El Tajin, Pre-Hispanic City
- Historic Centre of Zacatecas
- Rock Paintings of the Sierra de San Francisco
- Whale Sanctuary of El Vizcaino
- Earliest 16th-Century Monasteries on the Slopes of Popocatepetl
- Historic Monuments Zone of Querétaro
- Pre-Hispanic Town of Uxmal
- Hospicio Cabañas, Guadalajara
- Archaeological Zone of Paquimé, Casas Grandes
- Historic Monuments Zone of Tlacotalpan
- Archaeological Monuments Zone of Xochicalco
- Historic Fortified Town of Campeche
- Ancient Maya City and Protected Tropical Forests of Calakmul, Campeche
- Franciscan Missions in the Sierra Gorda of Querétaro
- Luis Barragán House and Studio
- Islands and Protected Areas of the Gulf of California
- Agave Landscape and Ancient Industrial Facilities of Tequila
- Central University City Campus of the Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México (UNAM)
- Monarch Butterfly Biosphere Reserve
- Protective town of San Miguel and the Sanctuary of Jesús Nazareno de Atotonilco
- Camino Real de Tierra Adentro
- Prehistoric Caves of Yagul and Mitla in the Central Valley of Oaxaca
- El Pinacate and Gran Desierto de Altar Biosphere Reserve
- Aqueduct of Padre Tembleque Hydraulic System
- Archipiélago de Revillagigedo
- Tehuacán-Cuicatlán Valley: originary habitat of Mesoamerica
2. Mexico Is Also Known For Handcrafts and Folk Art
The Art and crafts in Mexico are called “artesanía” in Mexican Spanish. Items produced by hand in this country include ceramics, wall hangings, vases, furniture, and textiles which are very beautiful. These actually reflect the real Mexican Culture.
3. The World’s Largest Pyramid Is In Mexico
You must be surprised to hear the name Pyramid cause Egypt is famous for pyramids, in fact, the world’s largest pyramid is in Mexico. The Great Pyramid of Cholula also known as Tlachihualtepetl is located in Cholula, Puebla, Mexico. It is 25 meters high above the plain ground and 300×315 sq meters. If you love pyramids then you must visit once.
4. Mexico’s Official Name Is Estados Unidades Mexico
We all know Mexico by its name Mexico but the official name of Mexico is Estados Unidades Mexico (in Spanish) which means “The United Mexican States”. There are 32 federal entities in Mexico where 31 states and the capital, Mexico City, a separate entity that is not formally a state).
5. The Catholic Branch Of Christianity Is The Dominant Religion In Mexico
The Catholics represent 78% of the total population of Mexico as the data of 2020. In recent years the population of Catholics seems to be declining as other Christians are increasing. As Mexico is a Secular country it has allowed the freedom of religion.
6. Mexican Celebrate Festival Called “Day of the Dead”
There are various festivals celebrated in Mexico among them “Día de Muertos” is one of the famous festival of Mexico. The word “Día de Muertos” means “Day of the Dead” in English. This is two day festival celebrated on 1st and 2nd November. 2nd November is considered as main day of the festival.
7. Mexico is home to 11% of all the world’s biodiversity
There are over 200,000 different species found in Mexico. It has highest number of species of reptiles in the world of around 707 known species.
Also read about Facts About Ukraine